Saturday, September 18, 2010

Arizona was calling...

My Aunt Elma passed away in June of natural causes. She was my Dad's older sister. The Aunt who always remembered your name, birth date, and the key points in your life. I always had a special place in my heart for her and her husband, Uncle Wayne. I jumped at the chance to take a road trip to AZ for the funeral. Cash and I jumped in the car and carpooled with my cousin Chelsea to Mesa. I went to all of my favorite places in Arizona. My Aunt Marilyn's house, My Uncle John's house, the old house I grew up in, my old elementary school, Bahama Bucks, Last Chance, and Tia Rosa's. I felt complete. Arizona reminds me of my Mom. The feel of it when entering, the heat, the smell, the familiarity, and the family.

My Dad drove in from Utah with my sisters Misha and Buffy. We made a family party out of it in true Brown fashion. Lots of good food, good conversations, lots of laughs, and of course games! While we were there, Cash started walking more and more. He took five steps in a row a few times. It was so fun to see him conquering something and watch the look on his face. I didn't let him practice too much though because I wanted Casey to be there to witness the actual breakthrough.
The funeral was beautiful. My poor old Dad was really sad because he isn't feeling well and keeps losing his siblings. He has already had two brothers and now two sisters pass before him. And he is the second youngest at 73! I could tell he was really going to miss his older sister and I was so grateful to be there with him. It was just a quick trip, but a meaningful and important one.

This is my Dad copying Cash during breakfast one morning. Cash kept putting his cheek on the table and my Dad thought it was so funny. Sadly, this is the only picture I got of them together. But it's kind of a special one.

No comments: